Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Formerly Fat: My Journey from 325 to 175

  I was never the size I was now.  I might have been, but I have a vague memory of it.  I've always remembered myself being this overweight...thing.  Not even a person, a thing.  The person you see now was trapped inside this thing wanting to get out, but found herself repressed by food and low, low self-esteem.  Although I smiled and pretended I was okay, I was truly hurting.  Hurting badly.  Now, I want to take you on a journey.  Let me take you back to the year 1995 where it all began.

  That year, my grandfather died and his death devastated me.  It was then that I found solace in eating.  Now, I was already a little overweight and trying to lose weight already and already getting called fat by the other kids in school.  But, it got worse after his death.  And over the years, the more I ate the heavier I got and no boy would take a look at me.  After high school, it creeped over into my young adult years and then one day it came to a head.  I was on a ride at an amusement part and the carney couldn't fit me into my restraints so I got asked off the ride and got mooed at by others on my way down the stairs.

  Coming home that night, I locked myself inside my room with whatever food product I could get a hold of and began to stuff my face while sobbing.  Then, I turned and looked at myself in the mirror amidst the chip crumbs and tears.  Then I realized that this was not me.  Was I happy looking at this person?  Hell fucking no!  I saw a slight figure standing there looking at me and she was sad.  She had a pitiful look on her face and it was as if she was saying to me, "Do you really want to spend the rest of your life looking like this?  You are one beautiful person.  Stop it or you're going to die far too soon."  That was when I began my journey.

  My mother spoke with my doctor and it was decided that the best option for me was to undergo gastric by-pass surgery.  In addition, her insurance covered it at the time if it was decided I was morbidly obese, which I had become in medical terms.  Now, I know some of you out there are thinking, "You took the easy road!"  Hey, it was an easy road, but driving down that road I encountered a few pot holes, strange hitchhikers and other road blocks along the way.  Getting there was easy, but actually losing the weight was the proverbial pot holes.

  So, June 7, 2002, I went into the hospital and walked into the operating room.  Yeah, I wasn't wheeled in, I walked holding my gown from behind.  So, I barely got past 98 when I went into the Dark Side of the Moon and woke up to see flying pigs floating about the room and my grandma there fighting it out with the bitch in the bed next to me who had turned the heat on to Kilhauea standards leaving me in a pool of sweat.  Now, within months, I had dropped like 75 to 80 lbs and I got down to under a plus size and began to eat smaller and healthier portions.  I was doing great!

  Remember my previous paragraph about strange hitchhikers?  Well, one came along and I've talked about him in previous blog posts.  Yeah, the abusive son-of-a-bitch is my strange hitchhiker!  Because of his abusive ways, I gained back some of the weight and found myself back on the unhealthy Chain Gang again.  Then...well, you know what happened.  Long story short:  Exorcised the asshat out of my life and got back to eating healthy, cutting soda out as well as McDonald's. 

  And now, come June 7, 2012, it will be ten years since my journey began and on that day I wish to celebrate with all of you out there in the Paranormal world in some way, shape or form.  I want to thank each and every one of you in the Ghost Adventures/Darkness Radio world.  GAC Family, you know you're invited so don't ask!  And for those of you who wish to send positive words of encouragement and congratulations, whoever you are, whether via Facebook or Twitter or on this blog post. 

  Now, I've only shown this to a few people and it is on Facebook as well in my albums, so I thought I'd share it here on my blog.  I will post an "After" shot on June 7, 2012.  So, here is how I begin my journey.  Here is the "Before" picture.


This was taken in 2001 at Walt Disney World.  Weight at that time:  325 lbs.  This is where my journey began.

     

No comments:

Post a Comment